Winter is approaching and soon the temperatures will drop. Freezing temperatures can cause many problems including safety hazards and major damage if you do not prepare your facility for winter. One major issue that can occur during the winter is the freezing and breaking of water pipes. Frozen pipes that burst often create a huge costly mess that no property or facility manager wants to deal with. However, this problem can be prevented if certain actions are taken before the winter temperatures arrive.
If you don’t want to deal with a huge water cleanup, make sure it does not happen. Below are important steps you can take to make sure the pipes in your facility do not freeze and burst:
- Make sure all exterior water pipes and unheated interior pipes are insulated.
- Conduct a regular inspection of water pipes to check for signals of small leaks or fatigue that may cause failure when freezing temperatures arrive.
- Be sure to run water at a slow drip to relieve the pressure that can burst a pipe if it does freeze.
- Make sure all shutoff valves and levers are properly operating.
- Do not shut off utilities in vacant units. A lack of heat and water movement could cause frozen pipes resulting in water damage.
Don’t forget that fire sprinklers are a source of water that can freeze and burst and cause major damage to your facility. Furnishings, computers, electrical equipment and more can be damaged or destroyed by frozen sprinklers that burst. Be sure to check your sprinkler system often in the winter.
Prepare for an Emergency
Following these tips are important to protect your facility this winter. However, as a facility or property manager, you should still be prepared if you do have a pipe burst to minimize damage. If you do encounter a water emergency, turn off the main water supply and contact a professional for help. Speedy cleanup is essential to prevent further damage and the growth of mold.
If you have questions regarding frozen water pipe prevention, call MAC today. MAC is a contractor Kansas City property and facility managers have trusted for more than 25 years. We provide facility repairs, custom cabinetry services, tenant finish services and more!